World Class Roster of Bestselling Authors Tapped to Pen Original Graphic Novels that Will Bring DC’s Iconic Super Heroes to a Whole New Generation of Young Readers
The latest trend of having YA authors writing comics/graphic novels continues with DC Comics announcing two dedicated imprints for teen and middle-grade readers. Here’s what DC had to say about the new imprints:
DC Entertainment revealed two new original graphic novel publishing imprints today, DC Ink focused on young adult (YA) readers, and DC Zoom focused on middle grade (MG) readers. Both imprints will feature a world-class line-up of authors who have established YA and MG fan bases. These authors will bring their storytelling expertise to a DC Universe filled with iconic characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and many more. The first titles from DC Ink and DC Zoom will be released in Fall 2018.
“Superheroes are more popular than ever so it only makes sense to bring these DC characters to an entirely new generation of young readers,” stated Diane Nelson, president of DC Entertainment and president of Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “The first comic books created decades ago were for kids, and as the business evolved and matured, it became more focused on adult readers. DC Ink and DC Zoom present an exciting new opportunity to grow our publishing business and ensure beloved stories built around iconic characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are endeared as part of the fabric of childhood for years to come.”
“Two of the recent areas of growth in publishing include graphic novels and books for young readers – we’re bringing those formats together with DC Ink and DC Zoom,” said DC Entertainment Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. “We’ve already experienced tremendous success with our DC Super Hero Girls graphic novels. The new DC Ink and DC Zoom slate, paired with a stellar author line-up, presents a major business growth opportunity and we couldn’t be more excited – we’re going big.”
The release also announced the first books to be published under the new imprint. DC Ink, the YA imprint, will have HARLEY QUINN: BREAKING GLASS by Mariko Tamaki (SUPERGIRL: BEING SUPER) with art by Steve Pugh, and MERA by Danielle Paige (DOROTHY MUST DIE series) hitting shelves in the Fall of 2018. The first DC Zoom, the middle-grade imprint, title will be DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS from writer Shea Fontana and artist Yancey Labat also debuting this fall. The announcement continued saying that more titles will be released in 2019.
More details about the books were announced in a New York Times Article. They reported that Zoom titles will be released in paperback at a price of $9.99 and will be 128 pages and Ink books will be 192 pages long and priced at $16.99. The article goes on to say that these stories will be “free from the elaborate continuity of previous superhero tales.”
Here’s a full list of the currently announced titles.
- BATMAN: GOTHAM HIGH – Melissa de la Cruz (ALEX & ELIZA, BLUE BLOODS series)
- BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER – THE GRAPHIC NOVEL – Marie Lu (LEGEND series)
- TEEN TITANS – Kami Garcia (BEAUTIFUL CREATURES series)
- UNDER THE MOON: A CATWOMAN TALE – Lauren Myracle (INTERNET GIRLS series, KISSING KATE)
- WONDER WOMAN: TEMPEST TOSSED – Laurie Halse Anderson (SPEAK and CHAINS)
- BATMAN TALES: ONCE UPON A CRIME – writer and artist: Derek Fridolfs, Dustin Nguyen (BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM)
- BATMAN: OVERDRIVE – Shea Fontana (DC SUPER HERO GIRLS series)
- BLACK CANARY: IGNITE – Meg Cabot (THE PRINCESS DIARIES series)
- DEAR JUSTICE LEAGUE – Michael Northrop (TOMBQUEST series)
- GREEN LANTERN: LEGACY – Minh Lê (DRAWN TOGETHER)SUPER SONS – Ridley Pearson (KINGDOM KEEPERS series)
- SUPERMAN OF SMALLVILLE – writer and artist: Art Baltazar & Franco (TINY TITANS)
- SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN – Gene Yang (AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER series, NEW SUPER-MAN), will be released as periodicals first, then collected
The full release can be read here.