Published by HarperTeen Series: Firebird #3
Source: Author Provided
Where to Buy:
Barnes & Noble|Amazon
Add to Goodreads
We are so happy that Claudia Gray, author of the Firebird series (and many more!) has joined us today to celebrate the last book in the series, A Million Worlds With You and to discuss her inspiration board (link to her pinterest board) behind the series:
Creating my images board for the Firebird series has been both an act of pure fannish love (can you fangirl your own books? Looks like it…) and a real help to me when writing. Actually finding the pictures that illustrated faraway places, specific details, or even other dimensions fired up my imagination every time.
If you’ve read the books, you probably can guess which images belong to which novels/scenes/universes…and you’ll pick up on the fact that several of these hint at things in A MILLION WORLDS WITH YOU. Going through and captioning each one would be a very, very, very long blog post, so instead, here are the categories of pictures I tended to pin:
1) Marguerite’s clothes: Yeah, this is probably the least important thing–but it helped me to visualize her. Marguerite’s hardly a fashion plate, and certainly not vain. However, as an artist, she genuinely cares about colors, lines, etc., and so I reasoned she would dress creatively. In the end, as you can see, she wound up with a colorful but otherwise understated boho vibe. Of course, some of the clothes are things she’d be wearing in other dimensions! But I bet you can pick those out for yourselves.
2) Historical Russia: The Russiaverse might be my favorite, and certainly my reading abut the last years of the Romanovs influenced that universe. So you’ll find many photos of the doomed Russian royals, of the variou
s palaces in St. Petersburg, the Romanov crown jewels, and–of course–a couple of Faberge eggs.
3) Otherworldly scenes: Futuristic buildings! Airships in the fog! Underwater buildings! Basically, if I could imagine it for one of the Firebird universes, some great artists out there had already created phenomenal pictures to illustrate it. Some images didn’t have to be totally fantastical–for instance, I could use old photos to portray the Moulin Rouge, which Theo and Marguerite visit in TEN THOUSAND SKIES ABOVE YOU. But I love looking at the wilder, m
ore creative images and glimpsing the Home Office, or the Londonverse.
4) Casting suggestions: Which aren’t actually suggestions. I almost never mentally cast my stories with actors who might conceivably get the roles. Still, if you want to know roughly what the faces look like in my mind, there are hints here. If we were to get a film or TV show for these books, I’d stand by my casting choices for Sophia Kovalenka (Olivi
Williams) and Henry Caine (Hugh Laurie). Some people suggested Adelaide Kane of “Reign” as a potential Marguerite — and I can see it! And in my heart, Theo will always be played as young, 1980s Robert Downey Junior.
5) Mood moments: Some of these illustrate moments of panic or grief Marguerite feels. But most of these suggest the passionate bond between Marguerite and Paul. Those were images I couldn’t hunt for as well–I only knew them when I saw them. Happily, I found so many that showed that connection, chemistry and love.
Many thanks to Claudia for giving us a peek into the images and rich details that inspired the worlds of the Firebird series. And guess what? Thanks to Claudia and Harper Teen, we have a giveaway of THREE finished copies of A Million Worlds with You (U.S. only):
a Rafflecopter giveaway
For more chances to win the book and to learn more about the series, please visit the blogs below.
10/24/2016- Seeing Double In Neverland-– Recap of A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU
10/25/2016- BookHounds YA- Recap of TEN THOUSAND SKIES ABOVE YOU
10/26/2016- Fangirlish- What we can expect in A MILLION WORLDS WITH YOU
10/27/2016- Fiktshun- Excerpt from A MILLION WORLDS WITH YOU
10/28/2016- Two Chicks on Books-Interview
10/31/2016- Novel Novice – Series Playlist
11/1/2016- Tales of the Ravenous Reader- Interview
11/2/2016- Page Turners Blog- Series Photo Board
11/3/2016- Dark Faerie Tales- -Interview
11/4/2016- Mundie Moms – What’s up next? Info about Claudia’s new book(s)
Claudia Gray is a pseudonym. I would like to say that I chose another name so that no one would ever learn the links between my shadowy, dramatic past and the explosive secrets revealed through my characters. This would be a lie. In truth, I took a pseudonym simply because I thought it would be fun to choose my own name. (And it is.)
I write novels full-time, absolutely love it, and hope to be able to do this forever. My home is in New Orleans, is more than 100 years old, and is painted purple. In my free time I read, travel, hike, cook and listen to music. You can keep up with my latest releases, thoughts on writing and various pop-culture musings via Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Goodreads or (of course) my own home page.
If you want to contact me, you can email me, but your best bet is probably to Tweet me. I don’t do follows on Twitter, but I follow everyone back on Tumblr, Pinterest and Goodreads.