USA Today’s HEA blog revealed the cover for PERSUASION this morning! I’m SO excited. I love this sequel to COMPULSION, and I literally can’t wait to share it with you all. I’m also thrilled to be able to give away the first ARC hot off the press (it will be mailed as soon as I get it), along with a TON of other goodies — including your chance to have your name in the final book of the trilogy.
You can enter at the bottom of the page, and on each of the following web sites. It’s a scavenger hunt, so be sure to visit each site to find the highlighted code. Enter all six codes to be eligible for the mega Grand Prize.
WHAT’S NEW IN PERSUASION?
- Barrie Watson still has a gift for finding lost things that comes to her as part of the family legacy from the ancient spirit called the Fire Carrier who sets the river around the Watson’s Landing plantation on fire every night . . . But that gift is deepening and changing.
- Eight Beaufort (Charles Beaufort, VIII) still has a gift for knowing what people want that comes from the Beauforts’ bargain with the Fire Carrier. But Eight still doesn’t know what bargain his family made with the ancient spirit.
- Eight, a pitcher with a knuckle ball that no one can hit, gives up his scholarship and lifelong dream of going away to play baseball in California to stay with Barrie on Watson Island.
- But since Eight is compelled to give people what they want, is he staying because he wants to? Or because Barrie wants him to stay? How can Barrie know for sure? And how can she let him stay?
- Seven Beaufort (Eight’s father) has been lying to Eight all his life about the Beaufort gift. Lying in oh, so many ways.
- Cassie Colesworth, whose family was cursed by the Fire Carrier, wasn’t wrong about the Civil War treasure she has always believed was buried at her family’s ruined plantation. But she was wrong about absolutely everything else.
- And then there’s Obadiah, a mysterious man who turns what Barrie knows about magic upside down, threatens her gift, promises her salvation and the hope of true love, and pits her developing gift against what Eight knows of human nature.
HAVEN’T READ COMPULSION YET?
Add to Goodreads
Grieving the death of her godfather and haunted by her cousin Cassie’s betrayal, Barrie returns from a trip to San Francisco to find the Watson plantation besieged by reporters and ghost-hunters. Some are hoping to see the ancient spirit who sets the river on fire each night, while others are chasing rumors of a stolen shipment of Civil War gold that may be hidden at Colesworth Place. Chaos descends as Cassie hires a team of archeologists to excavate beneath the mansion ruins. But more is buried there than treasure.
A mysterious, magical man appears at Watson’s Landing, claiming the key to the Watson and Beaufort gifts and the Colesworth curse also lies beneath the mansion. With a mix of threats and promises, he engages Barrie and Cassie in a midnight visit, but the spell he conjurs has potentially deadly consequences.
While Barrie and dreamy Eight Beaufort struggle to make sense of the escalating danger and their growing feelings for each other, Barrie has to figure out not only whom to trust, but which gift is more reliable—Eight’s or her own. With millions of dollars and the fate of the founding families at stake, she must choose between what she feels deep in her heart and what will keep her loved ones safe.
PRAISE FOR COMPULSION
“Eight Beaufort is so swoon-worthy that it’s ridiculous. Move over Four, Eight is here to stay!” — RT Book Reviews, RT Editors Best Books of 2014
“Skillfully blends rich magic and folklore with adventure, sweeping romance, and hidden treasure . . . An impressive start to the Heirs of Watson Island series. ” — Publishers Weekly
“A little bit Gone with the Wind, a little bit Romeo and Juliet…” — School Library Journal
“Darkly romantic and steeped in Southern Gothic charm, you’ll be compelled to get lost in the Heirs of Watson Island series.” — #1 New York Times Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Beautifully written, with vivid characters, a generations-old feud, and romance that leaps off the page, this Southern ghost story left me lingering over every word, and yet wanting to race to the compelling finish.” — Megan Shepherd, Author of THE MADMAN’S DAUGHTER
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Martina Boone was born in Prague and spoke several languages before learning English. She’s the founder of AdventuresInYAPublishing.com, a Writer’s Digest 101 Best Websites for Writers site, and YASeriesInsiders.com, a site devoted to the discovery and celebration of young adult literature and encouraging literacy through YA series.
From her home in Virginia, where she lives with her husband, children, and Auggie the wonder dog, she enjoys writing contemporary fantasy set in the kinds of magical places she’d love to visit. When she isn’t writing, she’s addicted to travel, horses, skiing, chocolate flavored tea, and anything with Nutella on it.
Website | Blog | Tumblr | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
HEIRS OF WATSON ISLAND BOOK TRAILER
Six Giveaway Stops, One AMAZING Grand Prize, which includes getting your name in book three of the Heirs of Watson Island trilogy. Want a chance to win it all? Collect the highlighted code words from each of the six blogs participating in the giveaway!
This giveaway is being hosted by Martina Boone. Please follow all rules included on the Rafflecopter widget below.